Richard E. Preston, Esq.
- Post J.D. studies — New York University - IRS Tax Straddles & Security Transactions, US Tax of Foreign Individuals
- J.D. Antioch School of Law, Washington D.C. - Law Review Co-Editor
- B.A. Bates College, Lewiston, Maine — majored in Rhetorical Analysis and Communication
Bar & Court Admissions:
- District of Columbia
- US District Court District of Columbia
- US Tax Court
- Association formation & Business Planning
- Civil litigation
- Tax litigation
- Bankruptcy Litigation
- Banking Compliance
- Legal services
- Litigation support
Richard started his career in the Honors Program of the Office of Chief Counsel of the Internal Revenue Service. This program is highly competitive and available primarily to third year law students who have superior academic qualifications and who ranked in the top twenty percent of their class. Members of the honors program have a three year commitment to the Office of Chief Counsel of the IRS.
While with the IRS, Richard worked on a wide variety of federal tax matters including, collection and examination issues, bankruptcy, secured creditor, criminal enforcement and appellate recommendations. His case responsibilities provided him with valuable skills in dealing with all federal circuits and the US Supreme Court.
Richard's current practice focuses on providing legal services to law firms and in house corporate counsel. He has worked on matters including collections, association formation and business planning, civil and tax litigation, bankruptcy and banking compliance.
- Various collection matters for The Gremminger Law Firm, involving liens, levies, CDP and other matters.
- Consulted on IRS criminal investigations, and Whistleblower matters.
- Bankruptcy litigation: Review position of junior lien holders in billion dollar credit facility dispute.
- Information request:Assist clients in providing timely responses to EU and US government information requests related to competition and business practices.
- Investigations: Respond to multiple federal and state grand jury subpoenas. Identify privileges and issues.
Boards and Associations:
- President Board of Directors, Parkfairfax Unit Owners' Association, 1992
- Chairman, IRS Associate Chief Counsel (Enforcement) Quality Council, 1994
- Appointed and served as Chairman, IRS Associate Chief Counsel (Enforcement) Quality Council, National Treasury Employee Union Representative.
- Directed training initiatives and reviewing quality process and proposals.
- IRS Chief Counsel Commendation